At I ♥ Promarkers this week there is a sketch by our very own Wynneth, (and there is an optional extra of ‘rip it up’ if you are brave enough to rip or tear your beloved stash! It could be worth your while though, as we are being sponsored this week by Simon Says Stamp. If paper mutilation happens to be a step too far and you cannot bring yourself to even do a controlled tear with a tearing ruler, then just use the sketch. LOL.
I wanted to try to make my card look like pages torn from a book. I used one of the images available here, from ‘The Waterbabies’ to illustrate my distressed ‘book’. The image, coloured with Promarkers, was cut into an oval using a large deckled-edge die from Spellbinders and the edges were given a wash of Tea Dye Distress Ink, as was the layer of card behind the image, which had edges torn using a tearing ruler to give the effect of an old bookplate. This was mounted onto matt black card to define & accentuate the teared edges more. The effect I hoped to achieve on the next layer back was as if it was a page torn from its binding. I found an extract from the book and popped it onto white paper and then cut down the left edge, but used the tearing ruler again for the other 3 sides. I then used a distressed ink wash carefully over it and once dried, I used the sewing machine without thread to create the dots down the straight edge and got my ‘quik unpick’ tool to cut down a number of the holes to the outer edge. I hoped this would look like the page had been ripped out of the book. From there I added a touch of gold ink to the other 3 edges as classic old books often have gold edges.
The vertical strip on the sketch I chose to see as the spine of the book itself so tried to find a suitably leather-like paper to which I added the title and author on the PC before cutting out and using the Tattered Rose Distress Ink to add depth to the edges. I then added a touch of gold gel pen to the lettering as if it was wearing away with age. The main backing paper is a recoloured freebie available at Mygrafico. It is by Lindsey’s Stamp Stuff and fortunately they don’t mind you altering the colours of the watercoloured image paper which I did in my graphics program to fit in with my colour-scheme. Having printed that off, I again cut down the left hand side but tore with the tearing ruler down the other 3 sides and the Tattered Rose ink again did its job around the edges. An Anna Griffin stamp then defined the top right hand corner in gold ink.
I made the flower from scratch myself from paper printed on both sides with the recoloured watercolour design. I then cut out free-hand with scissors a few layers of scalloped circles, distressed the edges of each layer, screwing them up and inking the edges with more Tattered Rose ink before securing together and using 3 brads into the centre.
Sir Stampalot - distressed
Stampman - distress